[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - This is This 30th Fan Project... Contributions

This is This 30th Fan Project... Contributions

News about pop will eat itself

This is This 30th Fan Project... Contributions

Postby payback3000 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:29 am

If you are one of tge many PWEI fans who consider This Is This to be your favourite PWEI album or the band best or most groundbreaking...

I’m looking for some wonderful words to contribute to a possible fan project in 2019.

Can you remember the first time you heard 'This Is The Day, This Is The Hour…This Is This!'?

Whether on the day of its original UK release of May 1st 1989…or as a later discovery…. can you clearly remember the day you bought it and first played it (I can) …what impact did it have on you? Did it change your musical tastes forever, inspire you to start a band or lead you down the road of discovery (who are Renegade Soundwave? Who’s Alan Moore? Why does he know the score?) or just clean blow your mind with its audio and visual barrage of information?

In short – what does this album mean to you?

If anyone wants to take the time to compose something and is happy for it to possibly be published in some way, then get scribbling. No rush so, take time to gather your thoughts and stir up some memories…

PM me your words sometime, when or if you have any!
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Re: This is This 30th Fan Project... Contributions

Postby SuperFrank » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:50 am

Sadly I can't remember. It would have been on the day of release but can't think much beyond that. I remember thinking Inject Me was amazing, probably until I played the other side and heard Not Now James.

My copy is pretty rare, it's the gatefold but came with the bonus of missing a lyric sheet.
SuperFrank
not now james

Postby payback3000 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

There was a replacement programme to obtain the inners. Have the gatefold- my old battered one I got on day if release plus a minty spare.
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby russelldempsey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm

russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby Stubborn Puppet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 pm

I do remember the first time I heard it, and the second, and the third... but I'm not sure my words amount to squat.

I do not know how or why, but a friend of mine had the cassette and told me I had to hear it.
I was really big into punk at the time, and had just started to explore artists on the fringe of the genre like Foetus, Neubauten and Skinny Puppy. When he played "This is This" for me... I really didn't know what the hell to think. I wanted to hate it. I actually did hate it (there are a couple of songs on there I still do hate) but it had some undeniable quality in it that kept me coming back - like a guys first beer is truly disgusting, but you feel like you want to try another one anyhow.
Next thing I knew, I somehow owned a copy of the tape myself... and kept making people listen to it... just to see what they thought.
Then, Cure for Sanity dropped and the rest is history - a fan to the bloody end.
Stubborn Puppet
radio pwei

Postby russelldempsey » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:20 pm

russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby letmein » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I remember getting this album in high school in '99 or '00. I had played Loaded in the past at a friend's house and always dug their tracks from that game but I could never find a PWEI album in a record store and rarely ever on the radio. Finally one day I found This is the day... cd at a store and picked it up not entirely knowing what to expect. Not exactly Dos Dedos Mi Amigos sounding album but I still enjoyed it. Eventually I was able to get the rest of PWEI's library. This is the day... was also kind of a gateway to me into heavily sampled style music. I think I did grow up with more than PWEI as a reference point there, but as far as stuff I listened to regularly they were largely the only one. I felt like the heavy cultural sampling references influenced a ridiculous rap song I made back in the day. The weird pop culture references stuck out.

I had created this joke rapper name of Karl Klaps and it was me basically just taking left over recorded samples to make intentionally bad "rap" music to. It was keyboards, guitar samples, and some other random things I would just record into a mic and a little bit of samples. I thought it was just gonna be a one off song, but then I got inspired to make another intentionally bad song with other samples I had leftover.

This is where PWEI and This is the day... comes back into the picture. I had also just figured out how to record some audio from TV or get pop culture samples from the internet. This time in the song I felt a lot more conscious about trying to insert ridiculous samples into the overall music and I felt like This is the day... influenced that urge to get odd source material tied into the song. So I ended up grabbing preacher samples, Tony the Tiger, Jackie Chan, and Shawn Connery saying "You're the man now dog" into the song among others. What I thought would just be a small quick sampling of a 2 or 3 minute song mushroomed into a 9 minute pile of crap that ended up getting made into a music video. Friends still laugh about it and I feel like This is the day... had an influence in how the song was made. So even if it's a bad song it brought some laughs to people.

I hope I didn't oversell the amount of sampling as not all of it follows it that way, but if you want to see the video its at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqdvfQ-yQU
letmein
not now james

Return to PWEI Communications