[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - How Best To Describe Pop Will Eat Itself?

How Best To Describe Pop Will Eat Itself?

stuff about pwei

How Best To Describe Pop Will Eat Itself?

Postby Phil » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 pm

What song would you choose to introduce PWEI to the younger generation? I think the times of spreading the word to our peers is pretty much done, if they don't like it by now they never will. But my musical tastes often comes up with younger people at work or wherever and, as much as I like the track, I don't want Can U Dig it? to be the introductory track for newbies and as that and the equally loveable-but-bonkers Def Con One are usually the first two choices on a Google Videos search I have to intervene.

My song choice then is 'Mother' as I think it sits neatly between the different eras of PWEI and each sound is reasonably well represented; greebo guitars, sampling and punk-rock-hip-hop.

What song would you use to try to explain just what PWEI were about? Maybe it would also explain what you're about too? :o
Phil
radio pwei

Re: How Best To Describe Pop Will Eat Itself?

Postby RolexTharsus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:44 pm

On my (incredibly unpopular) weekly interwebs radio show I usually go with TLOTL or CFS tracks if I'm playing the Poppies, and have dropped RSVP a couple of times. Oddly 92 Degrees got one of the best reactions, and is probably the least Poppies sounding Poppies tunes!

Think TLOTL or DDMA are the main gateways to the world of PWEI, people I know not in their late 30s/40s who've got into the band later have either got there via "the classics" (Def Con One/ Wise Up Sucker/ Can U Dig It) or the more industrial route eg. NIN fans who go to DDMA on old Trent's recommendation.

Best description? None better than Intergalactic Punk Rock Hip-Hop ;)
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Postby kwvp » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Karmadrome at [url="https://youtu.be/YQlzqPHe9Cg"]Phoenix 1994[/url] pretty much sums it up for me.

Trying to introduce a younger audience...? Maybe Not Now James or Inject Me. Actually, Wise Up! Sucker stands the test of time, I think.

More recently: Seek & Destroy or Digital Meltdown. Or 21st Century...

Or Auslander.

Maybe I'd make them a 90 minute mixtape...
kwvp
radio pwei

Postby russelldempsey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 pm

I go for King Kisser recently as it's so modern. Love it. :D

Otherwise, Wise Up Sucker always epitomised them, for me.
:!:
russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby TheFinkie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:40 am

Although it's not exactly what you're asking for, I made a playlist a while back of PWEI songs that define the band best and if I were to introduce them to someone, I'd play them this whole playlist:

(Of course, being a member of the "younger generation" myself, this is particularly relevant :lol: )

> Dust Me Down
> The Appletree (Parts 1 & 2)
> Monogamy
> Sweet Sweet Pie
> Love Missile F1-11
> Beaver Patrol (12" Version)
> There Is No Love Between Us Anymore
> Def.Con.One
> Can U Dig It?
> Touched By The Hand Of Cicciolina (7" Version)
> Dance Of The Mad (Feet On Heat)
> X Y & Zee
> Get The Girl! Kill The Baddies!
> Karmadrome (12" Version)
> R.S.V.P.
> Ich Bin Ein Auslander
> Their Law
> Friends
> 100% Is **it
> Fucking & Fighting
> Demon
> Chaos & Mayhem
> Oldskool Cool
> Watch The Bitch Blow
> Reclaim The Game (Funk FIFA) (Extended Version)
> 21st Century English Civil War
> Mental Pollution
I wish you heaven / I wish you hell
TheFinkie
preaching to the perverted

Postby jason » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:48 pm

My eldest daughter admitted to me that she didn't like PWEI. I was quite upset.

Both my kids do like Grebo Guru though.
|
jason
Site admin

Postby russelldempsey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:44 pm

russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby Mad Bastard » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 am

I wouldn't know how to start describing them as they've varied their style quite a bit over the years. At a push I'd probably just tell someone to listen to This Is The Day as it seems to be regarded as THE Pop Will Eat Itself album, or maybe Dos Dedos if they like heavier stuff.

Or Cure For Sanity if they like dancey stuff...
Here to sing, by request, here we bring...
Mad Bastard
radio pwei

Postby Phil » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 am

Bulletproof was always a car favourite for the kids. Anything else and they lost interest :(
Phil
radio pwei

Postby daryltaylor » Wed May 01, 2019 8:18 pm

A bit like scruffy pigs really!
CAN YOU DIG IT?
daryltaylor
radio pwei

Next

Return to All about the poppies