[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

stuff about pwei

Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

Postby Phil » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Is it just me or is Weirds Bar & Grill a really bad live album? I get that live albums rarely live it up what we experience on the actual night but I was listening to it the other day and I'd forgotten how flat and lifeless the production makes it all sound. I remember a four track EP being released, possibly around Christmas 1992, which featured Urban Futuristic, Wise Up Sucker, Can U Dig It and Get The Girl and that sounded pretty good, damn good in fact. I still listen to that now, the drums are really in front of the sound and, in my opinion, they drive the songs to be as close to a PWEI live performance as I think you're going to get. Listening to the same tracks on WB&G and the drums sound lost in the mix and everythings just kinda plodding along with no snap, crackle or pop.

Just me?
Phil
radio pwei

Re: Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

Postby russelldempsey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:15 pm

russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 am

This was the live EP that, production wise, I think was much better than the following album..

Phil
radio pwei

Postby payback3000 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 am

just taken from the same recordings though?

could do wuith a remix / remaster...lost of editing in there too...would be good to hear the full gigs recorded.
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:25 am

Phil
radio pwei

Postby RolexTharsus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 am

Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Phil
radio pwei

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

In the end I finally bought the 25th Anniversary edition of Now For a Feast, the only one I didn't have. As far as Weirds Bar And Grill goes, meh. It's unlikely to get a remaster (if that would even help matters) so I guess it will have to be remembered, by me at least, as the only crap Pop Will Eat Itself album.

I have to admit it's got a really great cover, though. So there's that.
Phil
radio pwei

Postby dave_van_damn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 am

Yep, in total agreement with everything written here! It's such a lifeless album. I think I've managed to listen to it once in 10 years of owning it.
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby Phil » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Phil
radio pwei

Next

Return to All about the poppies