[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - PWEI Nation Discography 2.0 - Your Nation Needs You!

PWEI Nation Discography 2.0 - Your Nation Needs You!

Stuff about pweination

Re: PWEI Nation Discography 2.0 - Your Nation Needs You!

Postby jason » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 pm

The stuff I sent you could be done with a "select distinct" so you just get all the titles. Of course it's clear that the titles aren't consistent.

If anyone wants to look this is the data that gets pulled on the pweination disgogs stuff.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... FekE#gid=0

There's two tables. One for releases (singles etc) and 1 for the stuff on the releases. It's by no means perfect and you can see I concentrated on albums rather than singles. Obviously don't edit this (you can I don't care) but it's not being used and Drew is going to sort it.

Jas
|
jason
Site admin

Postby negative8ball » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm

One thing I've seen in SOME discographies, that I'd love to see here, would be a way to sort the collection in a "get every version" model - so it would return the list of key releases you would have to acquire if you wanted one copy of each song/version available... it becomes a nice filter for people like me who don't want 10 versions of Def.Con.One - but I do want a 7", a 12", a CDS and if there are 2 of any of those with distinct versions, I'd want to know...

Might be a niche, but I suspect this kind of "second tier" (ie: non-completist, but complete-songist) collector is a not uncommon entity, and the ability to get a shopping list (for all intents and purposes) might be helpful.

Just a thought (as we are discussing "our" discography).

Would Gimme Shelter count in this section? It's not an album with a PWEI track (like the Gary Numan tribute) - I've always considered it a "single" of theirs...

And should the "taster" single for Two Fingers be a single here - or is that going to be lumped in with the Underbelly promo?
negative8ball
radio pwei

Postby poppiestar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm

If I'm honest, one of the first ideas I came up with was exactly your suggestion - I've wanted that feature myself! The plan is to have the search entirely faceted, so you can really target the exact things you're looking for.

Gimme Shelter will be listed at some point - I'm planning on adding another release category at some point to cover compilation appearances - but for now I just wanted to get the main releases down and into the database first.

And osr, yes - it is! However, I've come up with a plan that should hopefully make the process as manageable as possible. I think I've nailed down the releases if I'm honest, nobody's piped up with any contrary opinions so I'm going to move on to the tracks now. With the list jase, pb3k and I have collated, I should have something to show everyone by the weekend. That's when the fun begins... I'll explain what I mean by that when I have the list ready :)

However, if anyone wants to make a big head start for me on some future work, here's a few things I'll be needing at some point in the near future:

- Purchase links to any albums still in print on any major music vendors
- Download links to every available track and album on all of the major music vendors (iTunes, Amazon, play.com, 7digital, Spotify, etc.)
- YouTube links to the best quality versions of the official music videos
- High quality images of the covers (all formats, all versions)

It's probably a bit tedious, but it'd make my life a lot easier in the long run!

With that said, I've updated the top posting again to reflect my final list of official releases. The only major changes are to move the live albums into their own category and move the first three releases into the EPs section. Unless anyone has any major objections, this is the list I'm moving on with.
Born to live and love, not to push and shove. Here to give hope and rise above all the bullshit and all the crap.
poppiestar
1000 X No

Postby TheFinkie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:35 am

Something tells me that this project has been abandoned... :cry:

I do have a fairly accurate discography in .rtf format if you're still interested. It doesn't have things off compilations (Gimme Shelter, Friends, etc.), but it is up to date and I have taken the time (a lot of it) to perfect the names of every song, correcting all mistakes, inconsistencies and double-ups (two or more different songs with the same name).

Now, I'm sure there's a legitimate reason why this has been abandoned (http://www.popwilleatitself.co.uk, for example), but, y'know, I just thought someone might be interested :) .
Last edited by TheFinkie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish you heaven / I wish you hell
TheFinkie
preaching to the perverted

Postby poppiestar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:26 am

It's not dead yet, honest... I've just been playing a lot of Destiny :D

I've actually started working on it again this week, my plans for it are somewhat ridiculously ambitious which may partly explain why I sidelined it for so long. However, it's definitely not forgotten - indeed, every single time I log on here I keep thinking about it :oops:

I would absolutely be interested in your data though! That would be insanely handy, that was one of the things I started working on early but it became a little overwhelming. If you're interested in helping me out though, I could go into greater detail about what I was thinking of doing and see where we could meet in the middle.
Born to live and love, not to push and shove. Here to give hope and rise above all the bullshit and all the crap.
poppiestar
1000 X No

Postby TheFinkie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:26 am

Last edited by TheFinkie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFinkie

Postby TheFinkie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 am

Oh! My mistake. It's actually in odt format, so you'll need OpenOffice Writer to view it.
TheFinkie

Postby poppiestar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Sounds great to me, send away!
poppiestar
1000 X No

Postby TheFinkie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 am

I have sent PM and email, just to make sure :)
TheFinkie

Previous

Return to pweination.com