[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Getting to Stourbridge from Birmingham

Getting to Stourbridge from Birmingham

News about pop will eat itself

Getting to Stourbridge from Birmingham

Postby dave_van_damn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi gang,

I'm planning on taking the train down from Newcastle to Birmingham for The River Rooms gig in Stourbridge. I've used Google Maps to plan a route between the two places but I was wondering if any of you lot could recommend the best way to get from Birmingham to Stourbridge (driving is not an option!). I've placed too much faith in Google Maps before and ended up in the middle of nowhere so any advice would be appreciated!

Also, anyone know a cheap place to stay in either town? Youth hostels are fine, too!

Thanks!
Last edited by dave_van_damn on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Re: Getting to Stourbridge from Birmingham

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:21 pm

I think you need the number 9 bus :mrgreen: - Sorry couldn't resist.

It's a bit of a drive from Brum (I know you said this was not an option - but just to give you an idea) and a quick google search shows there are trains between Birmingham and Stourbridge Junction (no idea how close that train station is to the venue).

If you are coming into New Street Station from Newcastle, then you will need to walk over to Moor Street Station (15 min walk) to catch a train to Stourbridge junction.
Looks like trains run regular and take about 1/2 hour for the journey.

Hopefully a local of Stourbridge can give you better tips :)
"Give them the noises they need" - Nik Turner
Mike
not now james

Postby VMNP » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I got the train from Brum to Stourbridge when I went, it was well easy. 8-)
Built To Stay The Pace Not Lazy, Bleary Eyed A Wide Berth Crazy.
VMNP

Postby Waz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 am

dave_van_damn,

The nearest train station to the River Rooms is Stourbridge Town. To get there it's normally a train from Birmingham to Stourbridge Junction, then change there for the small train to Stourbridge Town itself.

Looking at the train times, the trains depart from either Birmingham Moor Street or Birmingham Snow Hill (note: not New Street, which is the big station in Birmingham!). Moor Street is just out of the other side of the Bull Ring next to the big Selfridges (and its iconic silver discs on the outside) and may be easier to find than Snow Hill.

One word of note: the last train back to Birmingham from Stourbridge Town is at 2250 - which might not tie in so well with the end of the gig.

Your other option is the number 9 bus (the same one the band mention in Eat Me Drink Me Love Me Kill Me). They're very regular and depart from the centre of Birmingham. The last bus from Stourbridge bus station is 2345, so a bit more time for you. Timetable here:

http://nxbus.co.uk/files/NXWestMids/cur ... Summer.pdf

The day ticket for those buses is £4, and a word of note, it's exact change only on those buses, so make sure you have that before you get on.

If staying in Birmingham, there's lots of choice, just depends on your budget really. Currently for Friday 1st August:

Ibis Birmingham New Street is £37 per night, it's close to the Chinese Quarter and Bull Ring and pretty close to New Street itself and they're pretty decent (I stayed there in May for a gig).

Travelodge Birmingham Moor Street is walking distance from New Street and Moor Street, and that's £45 per night currently.

There is also The Talbot Hotel in Stourbridge itself, single rooms for that night are available at £50 (or double £70, twin sold out) - I'd maybe read the reviews first though before making a decision - http://www.thetalbot-hotel.co.uk/
"She loves me, she loves me not..."
Twitter: @zawtowers
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Waz
not now james

Postby payback3000 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:51 am

im staying at the talbot myself - stayed there last time - it's ok for a one night crash...are a few more peeps staying here?
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby dave_van_damn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks for the excellent info, guys!
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby dave_van_damn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Any decent record shops in Birmingham/Stourbridge?
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby jason » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 am

Hi
What's Stourbridge like at 3-6am? Anything open? I've just had to shell out for car repairs and washing machine stuff. I'm fairly skint at the moment and looking at catching off peak train home at 6am-ish from Stourbridge. Is much open so I can sit and wait for a few hours?

I was planning to stay in Birmingham with family but they've all snuck off on holiday. It's like they knew.

Jas
|
jason
Site admin

Postby dave_van_damn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:35 am

Yeah Jason I'm kinda in the same boat I'm wondering if I should get a hotel in Birmingham or Stourbridge. I wonder if people will be heading for a night out in brum or not?!
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby payback3000 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Getting excited now. I'm going on my own but hoping to catch up with jas - so let him know if there is a pre gig meet anywhere!

x
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Next

Return to PWEI Communications