[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Your PWEI October 2011 tour

Your PWEI October 2011 tour

News about pop will eat itself

Your PWEI October 2011 tour

Postby RolexTharsus » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am

Seeing as we'll all be going to see the Incredible PWEI over the next couple of weeks thought I'd start a thread for everyones' reviews, anecdotes, pics, setlists etc. :)

See you all out there on Patrol!
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Re: Your PWEI October 2011 tour

Postby poprock » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

Where’s all the chat about last night’s Glasgow gig? Is everyone still hungover?

I enjoyed it. It wasn’t anything like the Poppies of old, but it was a decent gig by a decent band.

A lot of the old songs missed their electronic edge—they were lacking samples and keyboards etc and felt a little flat as such.

The setlist was alright. They could have dropped a couple of the dodgier new tunes in favour of more old classics in my opinion, but I’m sure they feel differently!

Of the oldies, There Is No Love Between Us and Preaching To The Perverted were highlights. Of the new material, Old School Cool and Chaos & Mayhem sounded best live.

Star of the show was Jason on the drums, grinning like a Cheshire Cat from start to finish. He looked SO happy to be there!
poprock
XY & Zee

Postby charley » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:47 am

I was wondering where all the reviews were...

Were there many people there, i'm very intrigued to see how many people are gonna turn up outside of the hardcore (us)??
charley
Beaver Patrol

Postby markmono » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Turned up to a half-empty room halfway through the support band who were, well, pretty dreadful. Had to fight off wave after wave of nauseating nostalgia as I spent more than I could afford on a t-shirt only to decide I wanted another one more (Have done this at every Poppies show I've ever attended.) and the place was wallpapered with faces from the last two decades. (At this point I was pretty sure the high point of the night was going to be feeling good about still having all my own hair.)

The room filled up nicely post-support though, taking their time to arrive as they obviously had to get babysitters first.The sound was pretty dodgy for the first couple of tracks, and the sound from Graham and Mary's radio mics was horrible. Still, somewhere between Oldskool Cool and Cape Connection I really started hearing the Poppies and my feet moved me from the bar down into the forefront of the crowd.

The last third of the set was happy, headbanging, bouncing joy. Jason, Tim and Davey played a near flawless set, noticeably far tighter than the original line-up have been any time I've seen them, and Mary and Graham were as acerbic and comical together as I'd hoped they'd be. Mary falls over. LET'S SEE A REPLAY.

It really changed my perception of the band. Part of me had been hoping to see the band I'd seen before. But that was never going to happen. I started seeing the Poppies as a fresh band, eager to road-test and prove their reinvention.

I could quibble over the setlist, but to tell the truth the new songs were the highlight of the evening. Not that Preaching To The Perverted and Their Law weren't amazing.
markmono
not now james

Postby NasalScarecrow » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:29 pm

What new songs were played?
NasalScarecrow
not now james

Postby markmono » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:33 pm

I think: Back 2 Business, Disguise, Nosebleeder Turbo TV, Mask, Seek & destroy, Captain Plastic, Wasted and Oldskool Cool.
markmono
not now james

Postby NasalScarecrow » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing some of those live. The one I have my fingers crossed for is Cape Connection though. I love that song so much.
NasalScarecrow
not now james

Postby markmono » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:08 pm

It was epic.
markmono
not now james

Postby poprock » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:21 pm

They played Chaos & Mayhem too.
poprock
XY & Zee