[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Def Con One Radio Edit help...

Def Con One Radio Edit help...

News about pop will eat itself

Def Con One Radio Edit help...

Postby urban_futuristic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:28 am

I have been scouring my brain (& vinyl collection) over the past couple of days as I seem to remember there being TWO different radio versions of Def Con One on two different promos.
I remember the old 'Nation listing a "Radio Edit" (3:49 runtime) & a "Special Radio Version" (3:38) & I have both versions of the promo 7" that was around (the white label / sleeve one & the stickered sleeve one), but both of the play the same version.

I thought the difference was one saying "Big One Fries to go" & the other was "Big shake fries to go" (but I may be mixing that up with the VMNP 1989AD promo version).

Can anyone shed some light?
point blank, zero return...
urban_futuristic
radio pwei

Re: Def Con One Radio Edit help...

Postby Ugly Goblin Boy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:00 am

The big difference I find with the "VMNP 1989AD" version is the slightly distorted vocals and less mastered sound. I know one key difference with the later two you mentioned is I believe the radio edit cuts out the Twilight Zone/Run DMC(?) bit at the end as well. I'd really have to listen to them again to give an honest answer, but it's 12am and the lady friend would kick my ass if I started spinning records. I've yet to snag the 7" with the radio edit, though it pops up on eBay now and then, the completest in me says I should really get it someday.
Ugly Goblin Boy
radio pwei

Postby kwvp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:37 am

Yeah, the def con one promos have "big one" (or "big what?" as I thought it was) and the vmnp promo has "big shake". Or the other way around..
kwvp
radio pwei

Postby urban_futuristic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:57 am

OK... so I have just sat down with a stopwatch (I know, how nerdy of me! :geek: ) & timed each one & they are both 3:38 long. (the original ones, not the VMNP Edit)
I am now beginning to doubt the existance of the 3:49 Radio Edit.
I seem to remember at the time (on the old PWEI Nation discog) that both versions had the same catalogue number & wondering how they could have the same cat. no & yet be different tracks... seems my wondering was right!

Unless anyone can prove otherwise...?
urban_futuristic
radio pwei

Postby kwvp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

kwvp
radio pwei

Postby VMNP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:21 am

Right i have the big shake version so is there another that i'm missing then?
Built To Stay The Pace Not Lazy, Bleary Eyed A Wide Berth Crazy.
VMNP

Postby statusthimble » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Don't know if this helps but Liz Kershaw played a version I didn't recognise at the start of her show (with Gra in it later on) on Sat afternoon, (if everyone heard it and/or already knows this version, apologies now!) still available for a couple more days;

about 6 mins in. Vocals sound different, has Big Mac not shake, but different Twilight Zone vocal sample, something about 'the ionosphere and irony' where I rememeber the stuff about ' a dimension not only of sight but of sound, your next stop...' etc. I'd say it's 3'38 long too.

Gra's bit is around 2hrs in.
statusthimble
not now james

Postby andym » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Just to clear this up; there is a 3.49 "Big Shake" radio edit which is a version of the 1989 Def Con One (from This is This and VMNP). The 3.38 version will be the from the original 1988 single - this is also the version BBC Radio always seem to play, annoyingly because I think the 1989 version is much better.
andym
preaching to the perverted

Postby urban_futuristic » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 pm

urban_futuristic
radio pwei

Postby Ohm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:51 am

I'm lost! I do recall seeing a video for the original single version though, on chapter 22. On one of those Indie Hits type video comp in the late 80s. I think it also had Transvision Vamp on it, which got a bit more airtime amongst us for some reason.
Ohm
1000 X No

Next

Return to PWEI Communications