[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Settle a question of Grammar kids

Settle a question of Grammar kids

News about pop will eat itself

Settle a question of Grammar kids

Postby payback3000 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:59 am

OK so I re type set the track listings for the PWEI Rare Vols 1 & 2 in Jan. I avoided the norm of uppercase for the track titles as before and had a niggle that they were not correct - eg.

Preaching To The Perverted.

OK it that was an LP title or title of a film then yes it's correct, but don't diffrerent rules apply to composition titles? I had a look on wiki and yes, it seems the do. So it should read...

Preaching to the Perverted.

Or

Poison to the Mind

Or

Touched by the Hand of Cicciolina

So I was quite happy to change any song titles affected by these rules. Then flicking through Mojo this week I noticed they spelled every song title the other way. So if they were ever to mention Cicciolina (which they won't) they would use 'Touched By The Hand Of Cicciolina'.

I've waded through tons of my old LP's and it seems everyone just avoids this by using uppercase all the time. I Iooked at a couple of old classical LP's in a second hand shop - assuming that posh people would settle the argument and they used the 'Touched by the Hand of Cicciolina' style.

Which way it right? Or do I just give in and use uppercase?

!
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Re: Settle a question of Grammar kids

Postby Onket » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am

The Thread Title Should Have an Upper Case 'Q' and an Upper Case 'K'.
Onket
Wise up sucker

Postby Mad Bastard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 am

Just noticed the New Noise promo has "New Noise Designed By A Sadist" on the spine, go that way I reckon. Or just go full-on DR and do the whole lot in lower case. ;)
Here to sing, by request, here we bring...
Mad Bastard
radio pwei

Postby payback3000 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 am

Yes Onket - I was testing to see who knows words.

MadBastard - New Noise Designed By A Sadist is an LP Title - not a compositional title - ie song title...I'm following this rule -

When writing about song titles, you need to put them in "title case." That means you should capitalize most of the first letters in each word of the title, except for articles such as "a" or "the," prepositions fewer than five letters long such as "to" or "at," and conjunctions such as "and" and "but." Always capitalize the first word and the last word in the title, regardless of whether it's an article, short preposition or a conjunction.

But then I wonder - if this is correct - why do so many people just us the 'title' rule and cap the first letter of each word?

Who the fuck is correct here?
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby Onket » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 am

Onket
Wise up sucker

Postby payback3000 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am

I'm worried I 'do it proper' and then someone pipes up with another set of rules that proves me wrong...this will be the V4 or something of them!

BTW where's this DDMA announcement so I can get on with vols 3 - 4?
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby jason » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

I don't think this is a grammar question. It's a style question. You wouldn't say "THIS IS A TITLE" is bad grammar. It's a question of case and style. I've read that the Title case All First Letters Are Capitalised is harder to read. Best to use the Sentence case for form filling etc.

I think "Preaching to the perverted" is nicer.

I could be wrong but now I'm not sure any more. I used to be able to explain the difference between "some" and "any" but that's gone now.
|
jason
Site admin

Postby payback3000 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Your Wrong - it's a matter of grammer not style.

Don't go in to teaching.
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby RolexTharsus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Postby mellotronfm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Personally when tagging songs I tend to mix and match the two - I find when there's a lot of alternating between caps and lowercase, like the Ciccolina example, it just looks awkward. So I guess I'm a bad person for doing that now that I realise it's not correct!

Also, going with jason on this one - Trent Reznor's new band just capitalises the first letter, so the official tracklisting looks like this:

2. "Keep it together"
3. "And the sky began to scream"
4. "Welcome oblivion"

Works better than I expected, tbh.
mellotronfm
XY & Zee

Next

Return to PWEI Communications