[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - York gig snaps, 20th March 2012

York gig snaps, 20th March 2012

News about pop will eat itself

York gig snaps, 20th March 2012

Postby Mr.Cruise » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Berlin Black were the support band for this gig - faintly '80's goth punk who were quite decent, and had a fit girl playing the bass. I did not take any pictures. I did think about it.
Pop Will Eat Itself came on about 9.30 and were good, playing a much longer set this time (I think it was the same as the other gigs). I only had a rubbish camera with me, but took some pictures anyway. Most of them were rather lame, but I thought I would post them anyway. Here they are.

I had forgotten how good Gra and Mary work together, "singing", bouncing off each other and being good to watch on stage.

by , on Flickr

I liked the set list - hearing Dance of the Mad, Can U DIg It? and Def Con 1 is always good, but the band seemed very heavy and full on. Tim did the hard bits that The Buzzard had to do in Can U Dig It? very well and throughout the whole gig it was a really driven and strong guitar sound. I was too near the speaker stack and have knackered my ears, so can't really comment on what it sounded like further back. I thought the sound was rough, but it was probably where I was.

by , on Flickr

Having seen them in Sheffield last time round, I thought the rhythm section, Jason, Davey and TIm seemed much more part of the whole band - there was lots of bouncing off each other and the thing that really struck me all the way through was that it looked like they were really, really enjoying it. Lots of being silly, jumping around and a band that seemed to be having fun. I thought so anyway.

by , on Flickr

I liked the fact that the none singing members of the band sang along (without mikes,) to some of the choruses to the songs that they were playing. Not really sure why I have mentioned that.

by , on Flickr

There was a nice mix of old and new songs. It was apparent in the longer set how varied the songs are. Different feels to a lot of them, but they all worked together I think. I saw Miles Hunt (the WOnder Stuff) write this on Facebook today "Graham named the band, was the guy behind all of their stylistic shifts and wrote well over 50% of their material." It was good to hear new songs like Disguise in the same set as old ones like No Love etc. I secretly really liked Their Law at the gig as well - even though I didn't think I liked it that much. The crowd really got into it, and it was good.

by , on Flickr

This horrifically out of focus photograph is what you would see if you wore glasses and took them off, and were standing quite far back at the gig.

by , on Flickr

THe song that suprised me the most in a good way at the gig was Seek and Destroy. I always liked the demos etc, but I thought it was spot on at the gig, lots of energy and a really good groove(y). My criticisms were about the venue - I personally thought the sound was rubbish (although that may have been where I was standing) and the lighting was just left on, no changes at all during the set. I think that seeing Pop Will Eat Itself is always so much better when there is smoke machines and search lights and strobes etc. Creates a better atmosphere etc.

by , on Flickr

I liked it, and was so impressed by the energy of the band. It wasn't all old people in the crowd either, which was good. I think if enough people get to hear about them and catch them at a gig, then younger band members like Davey and Tim add to the credibility of the band - they look contemporary etc. THis great revelation sounded ace in my head and when written down makes me seem mentally ill. Anyway, it was good, and I just hope my ears stop ringing one day :(

by , on Flickr
Mr.Cruise
not now james

Re: York gig snaps, 20th March 2012

Postby pedro » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Cracking photos
Nottingham Forest - Premiership team 2015
pedro
radio pwei

Postby kwvp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:35 am

Nice one. Thanks
kwvp
radio pwei

Postby payback3000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 am

Great pics and review. I left my camera in the car. I wasn't sure how busy or rawkus it would be so didn't risk it.

Yes the band all look like they are having a ball - ear to ear grins from every member the whole gig. It's a fantastic line up.

The sound a bit further back wasn't too bad. it got worse as it went on. I didn't mind too musch - it just sounded stupidly heavy and quite insane at points.
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby Mr.Cruise » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 am

Mr.Cruise
not now james

Postby RolexTharsus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 am

Great pics & great review :)
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker