[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - '96, The Grahamless Gigs

'96, The Grahamless Gigs

stuff about pwei

'96, The Grahamless Gigs

Postby Mad Bastard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 pm

I was thinking about this a while back, with a lot of people seemingly uninterested in the last load of gigs due to no Clint, what was the general feeling about the gigs after Graham left? Was there much of the same kind of thing, uninterested due to no Graham? I wasn't on the net much back then so didn't really hear much opinion about if all at the time, just interested to know what the general feeling was.
Here to sing, by request, here we bring...
Mad Bastard
radio pwei

Re: '96, The Grahamless Gigs

Postby Onket » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

What were the dates of them?

I went to see the Poppies in Nottingham in 1996 and can't remember even noticing that there was no Graham. Maybe he did feature for that gig, I dunno?
Onket
Wise up sucker

Postby Mad Bastard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Heh, maybe my brain's gone haywire and I'm imagining things. Could've sworn there were gigs after he left, were there?
Mad Bastard
radio pwei

Postby Onket » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm

No, you're right, I just want confirmation of when.

I saw them on the 26th June 1996 at Nottingham Rock City. I know this as it was the night that England lost on penalties to Germany in the semi final of Euro 96, and they had that on a big screen in the bar area before the gig.
Onket
Wise up sucker

Postby kwvp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Yeah. There were a handful of Holsten Indie Party gigs around Feb 96 followed by 5(?) gigs in the Summer including Reading Alleycat and finishing with Nottingham; then Roskilde.

The gigs seemed very severe. Serious. A far cry from the days of Galaxian Patrol. Can't really compare 'Grahamless' to 'No Clint'. One was a continuation after a single departing member. The other is a complete reinvention...
kwvp
radio pwei

Postby Mad Bastard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Mad Bastard
radio pwei

Postby Snackula » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 am

Did the internet exist in 96? I got my info back then from NME and the info service. I didn't know that they were playing at Alleycat and it was about ten minutes away. I didn't know that Graham had left.
A mate told me about it later, said it sounded more industrial. I would have gone if I'd known
I'll tell you what: if you don't cooperate, you're gonna suffer from "fistophobia".
Snackula
1000 X No

Postby RolexTharsus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 am

I remember reading in the ENEMA that they'd split in '95 then heard on Radio 1 (Steve Lurpack & fat bearded Joe Riley's Drinking Session) that they hadn't split & were now a 6 piece with the Buzzard as a full time member?!
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Postby Onket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:00 am

Onket
Wise up sucker

Postby statusthimble » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 pm

I saw them at Manchester Rockworld that June. Only found out about it a few days before by picking up a flyer in a record shop in Leeds, advertising it as 'last UK show of 96'. We got chatting to Fuzz before the gig and he said what was actually going on, ie Roskilde and then that's it. As for the gig, I remember it sounding great, more driven, but as has been said, more serious. None of the joy I remembered from the amalgamation era. Great seeing the Buzzard live, but no Gra bouncing around. They just looked tired, Clint particularly.
statusthimble
not now james

Next

Return to All about the poppies