[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - My review of "Dos Dedos Mis Amigos"

My review of "Dos Dedos Mis Amigos"

stuff about pwei

Re: My review of "Dos Dedos Mis Amigos"

Postby AxeofMan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:02 pm

As I said, the doom-atmosphere was less the problem and more the lack of imagination. But still thanks for the comment! "Underbelly" is one of the strongest tracks - The doom atmosphere works best there.

Just let me know whether to post my reviews in this thread or make a seperate topic.

And no, you didn't sound like a wanker. I loved the comment.
ARE YOU
AWARE?
AxeofMan
1000 X No

Postby jason » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:53 pm

|
jason
Site admin

Postby wierdsbarandgrill2 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 pm

I always found Dos Dedos a very "dry" album - the production was spartan. And It really did suffer from a lack of "Their Law" on it, which would have worked much better as the second track on the album than Kick To Kill. I would love the hear the PWEI mix of that track - I know the live versions from the reformation tour are as close as we'll ever hear, but they were , if anything to go by, stunningly good.

Similarly, the slow version of Babylon really doesn't work. With a PWEI mix of Their law and the fast version of babylon would have been the two killer tracks the album needed, would have made the album flow much much better. Ending the album on a more chilled out note really didnt work, especially not when you know Bablylon from the radio session version and are thinking how good it could be....
wierdsbarandgrill2
not now james

Postby VMNP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:56 am

There is no PWEI mix of Thier Law, the only recorded version of the track is on Music For The Jilted Generation.
Built To Stay The Pace Not Lazy, Bleary Eyed A Wide Berth Crazy.
VMNP

Postby payback3000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 am

I can't see any real argument for 'lack of imaginiation' regards this LP. To me it is almost a concept album like This Is This. Although it does not share the structure of This Is This with interludes and cross referencing of samples which added to the 'concept' (and a technique which was aped for Cure For Sanity but without the same substance) it does have an overall feel of the same mood and context. for the songs The guys were pretty much producing themselves at this point and it's one of the best sounding PWEI LP's. It's the sound of a band raising there game but also painting themselves into a corner. No turning back if you like.
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby wierdsbarandgrill2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 am

If I remember rightly at the time, The story was That both bands were working on "Their Law" and whoever completed their album first got to use it on the album.As it happened, "music for the jilted" was finished about 3 weeks ahead of Dos Dedos, so Prodigy got to use it.

The reason I mentioned a PWEI mix of it has a lot to do with the versions I heard in 96 on patrol + 2005 - working (not illogically) from that story and the vast differences between the two. I do wonder why all the verses were not on the released version. Hypotheticalyy then, a PWEI mix of the track would have been a barnstormer.

"It's the sound of a band raising there game but also painting themselves into a corner. " - I love this description. Not much from the 96 sessions has come out, but if Zero Return was anything to go by...thats a perfect description.
wierdsbarandgrill2
not now james

Postby markmono » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Anyone ever think that The Prodigy calling their Best-Of 'Their Law' was, well, a bit cheeky?
markmono
not now james

Postby AxeofMan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:45 pm

@payback3000: I would say "Kick to Kill", "Underbelly", "Ich Bin Ein Auslander", "Everything's Cool" and "Fatman" are all pretty similar, and PWEI generally has more difference in their songs. The structure of the songs is also more ordinary rather than always adding new things. As much as I love "Everything's Cool", it doesn't really switch throughout the song aside from a more stronger chorus at the end.

I love that screech you hear in "Familus Horribilus" though - Without it that song would have been pretty boring.

I think it was okay for Prodigy to call their Best-Of "Their Law". What's annoying is 1) How PWEI's audience didn't get bigger, especially considering it's one of the best Prodigy songs 2) No rapping on that track 3) "Speedway" is not on that complitation, and it's probably their best track. It's so... manic in its energy.

Okay, curiousity kills me - How can I get my hands on Zero Return?
ARE YOU
AWARE?
AxeofMan
1000 X No

Postby kwvp » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Zero Return was on the CD from issue 44 of Future Music.

kwvp
radio pwei

Postby RolexTharsus » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:46 pm

DDMA's my least favourite Poppies LP becuase for me it is the least coherent. I miss the duelling vocals that are the Poppies trademark (and I'm glad to see how that's back to the forefront with Mary & Graham), as they only pop up on Familus & RSVP which are by far the standout tunes. Other than those the remaining songs are either Clint ones or Graham ones, I don't get the sense that it's a full band LP it seems to be more Adam, Rich & Fuzz featuring either Clint or Gra. Also not to repeat myself too much from other threads although I love Auslander it's impact is blunted on the LP because Underbelly, Fatman & EC are so similiar in style & tone.

Just my opinion, feel free to debate or correct me! :)
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Previous

Return to All about the poppies