Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

stuff about pwei

Re: Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

Postby RolexTharsus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Phil wrote:
RolexTharsus wrote:Slight thread hijack, but did you get the remaster/ reissue of We Care A Lot? Had a tape of it 20 years ago, thought it sounded really sketchy and never got into it, but the remaster is incredible and love the LP now.

I wouldn't worry about hijacking the thread, there's nothing else going on anyway.

The We Care A Lot reissue was last year I think and no I haven't picked it up yet. The version I have sounds OK but still lacks the punch of Introduce Yourself. How did you rate Sol Invictus? I'll be honest and say I was initially disappointed probably because I wanted it to sound like The Real Thing/Angel Dust and feel like a teenager again. Since then it's really grown on me, reminds me of Album Of The year a little.

I would recommend picking up the WCAL reissue, got the vinyl which sounds great & I'd put it up there with Introduce Yourself.

I like Sol Invictus a lot, it is one that needs a few listens to pick up everything that's going on but think around the 4th spin I was grinning! Agree on the AOTY comparison, that was another slow burner. 17 year old me thought "It's OK, but it's not Angel Dust", but as I got older and listened to more of Patton's extra-curricular activites it started to click and I love it now. Guessing you're a big fan of it too?

Might be heresey to say this, but I did a run through of all the albums again after getting WCAL and now feel The Real Thing is the one that's aged worst. Still a great album, but musically the band are in transition from the Chuck era to Angel Dust, and Patton's doing that nasally voice on loads of tracks rather than his full range (read an interview with Billy a couple of years back and apparently he was doing that deliberately to annoy people!)
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:50 pm

RolexTharsus wrote:
Might be heresey to say this, but I did a run through of all the albums again after getting WCAL and now feel The Real Thing is the one that's aged worst. Still a great album, but musically the band are in transition from the Chuck era to Angel Dust, and Patton's doing that nasally voice on loads of tracks rather than his full range (read an interview with Billy a couple of years back and apparently he was doing that deliberately to annoy people!)

I know what you mean. I recall reading something ages ago about how the album was specifically designed to break the band, make them massive. I think it was mostly at the instigation of the record company and it may have started once Mosley had gone. In some ways it is a bit of a pop album as a result (albeit a hefty one) and looking back Epic is a bit daft and a real example of creating a radio friendly unit shifter.

But for all that, nostalgia is an important currency to me so it was always be my favourite, I guess. And actually it's a good album to let the kids listen to.

EDIT by the way, if you're on Twitter then follow Chuck Mosley and he'll follow you back. I find that incredibly cool.
PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Postby russelldempsey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Phil wrote:
RolexTharsus wrote:

I know what you mean. I recall reading something ages ago about how the album was specifically designed to break the band, make them massive. I think it was mostly at the instigation of the record company and it may have started once Mosley had gone. In some ways it is a bit of a pop album as a result (albeit a hefty one) and looking back Epic is a bit daft and a real example of creating a radio friendly unit shifter.

But for all that, nostalgia is an important currency to me so it was always be my favourite, I guess. And actually it's a good album to let the kids listen to.

EDIT by the way, if you're on Twitter then follow Chuck Mosley and he'll follow you back. I find that incredibly cool.

I know the feeling...it is the real thing...the essence of the truth :twisted:
russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby dave_van_damn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 am

I was blown away by Superhero and as a big FNM fan I picked up Sol Invictus right away...and was disappointed. It's not a bad album, definitely take some listens. But I found some of the tracks just to be a little too weak, in the same way I found AOTY to have half baked tracks. Don't get me wrong, both SI and AOTY have fantastic tracks, it's just they also have some very 'meh' ones, IMO. I think I'll give SI a re-listen today, actually.
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl https://anotherboringbside.wordpress.com/
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong https://agwailoinhongkong.wordpress.com/
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Previous

Return to All about the poppies