Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

stuff about pwei

Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

Postby Phil » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Is it just me or is Weirds Bar & Grill a really bad live album? I get that live albums rarely live it up what we experience on the actual night but I was listening to it the other day and I'd forgotten how flat and lifeless the production makes it all sound. I remember a four track EP being released, possibly around Christmas 1992, which featured Urban Futuristic, Wise Up Sucker, Can U Dig It and Get The Girl and that sounded pretty good, damn good in fact. I still listen to that now, the drums are really in front of the sound and, in my opinion, they drive the songs to be as close to a PWEI live performance as I think you're going to get. Listening to the same tracks on WB&G and the drums sound lost in the mix and everythings just kinda plodding along with no snap, crackle or pop.

Just me?
PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Re: Weirds Bar & Grill - Not good

Postby russelldempsey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Phil wrote:Is it just me or is Weirds Bar & Grill a really bad live album? I get that live albums rarely live it up what we experience on the actual night but I was listening to it the other day and I'd forgotten how flat and lifeless the production makes it all sound. I remember a four track EP being released, possibly around Christmas 1992, which featured Urban Futuristic, Wise Up Sucker, Can U Dig It and Get The Girl and that sounded pretty good, damn good in fact. I still listen to that now, the drums are really in front of the sound and, in my opinion, they drive the songs to be as close to a PWEI live performance as I think you're going to get. Listening to the same tracks on WB&G and the drums sound lost in the mix and everythings just kinda plodding along with no snap, crackle or pop.

Just me?

Not just you, I remember buying it, and enjoying it for completeness sake, though it didn't capture the live feel at all. I think you summed it up perfectly.
russelldempsey
1000 X No

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 am

This was the live EP that, production wise, I think was much better than the following album..

PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Postby payback3000 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 am

just taken from the same recordings though?

could do wuith a remix / remaster...lost of editing in there too...would be good to hear the full gigs recorded.
payback3000
Wise up sucker

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:25 am

payback3000 wrote:just taken from the same recordings though?

could do wuith a remix / remaster...lost of editing in there too...would be good to hear the full gigs recorded.

The four tracks on that EP also feature on Weirds Bar & Grill exactly the same other than the different mix which, as I said, seemed to push Fuzz into the background. Perhaps the EP was more of a rush job and the "professional" mix came when they were compiling the full album. That said, it was also a bit of a pigs ear job as I remember Crabbis line "We'll start it right now, we'll start it right now, right now" appearing twice before different songs.

EDIT - I notice the album is available to download on Amazon and Itunes these days. I might grab a couple of the tracks for comparison, maybe the digital version sounds better?
PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Postby RolexTharsus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 am

Phil wrote:
payback3000 wrote:just taken from the same recordings though?

The four tracks on that EP also feature on Weirds Bar & Grill exactly the same other than the different mix which, as I said, seemed to push Fuzz into the background. Perhaps the EP was more of a rush job and the "professional" mix came when they were compiling the full album. That said, it was also a bit of a pigs ear job as I remember Crabbis line "We'll start it right now, we'll start it right now, right now" appearing twice before different songs.

EDIT - I notice the album is available to download on Amazon and Itunes these days. I might grab a couple of the tracks for comparison, maybe the digital version sounds better?

Got it off pietunes a few years back. Sounded flatter than my old tape copy.

Picked it up on vinyl after that and for some reason it's missing a few tracks (EDIT) - checked on discogs for sanity and yep, the vinyl version's missing Harry Dean Stanton, I've Always Been a Coward, Teenage Grandad & There is No Love...
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:13 pm

RolexTharsus wrote:
Got it off pietunes a few years back. Sounded flatter than my old tape copy.

Shame. But you have just saved me 99p so thanks for that.
PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

In the end I finally bought the 25th Anniversary edition of Now For a Feast, the only one I didn't have. As far as Weirds Bar And Grill goes, meh. It's unlikely to get a remaster (if that would even help matters) so I guess it will have to be remembered, by me at least, as the only crap Pop Will Eat Itself album.

I have to admit it's got a really great cover, though. So there's that.
PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Postby dave_van_damn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:36 am

Yep, in total agreement with everything written here! It's such a lifeless album. I think I've managed to listen to it once in 10 years of owning it.
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl https://anotherboringbside.wordpress.com/
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong https://agwailoinhongkong.wordpress.com/
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby Phil » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:Yep, in total agreement with everything written here! It's such a lifeless album. I think I've managed to listen to it once in 10 years of owning it.

If you can track down a copy of the EP (or find it lurking on a Torrent site - which is where I found it :oops: ) those four tracks, I think, sound pretty hefty thanks to the prominence of the boy Fuzz.
PLAY IT MAD DJ........
Phil
radio pwei

Next

Return to All about the poppies