[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Mekong Bar

Mekong Bar

Stuff about Mary Byker -Gaye Bykers on Acid, Apollo 440...

Mekong Bar

Postby oerks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:50 am

This is Mary's bar and restaurant in Rio De Janeiro. It seems he is also DJing there regularly.
http://mekong.com.br/

Anybody made it there?
oerks
not now james

Re: Mekong Bar

Postby dave_van_damn » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:28 am

What's the story with Mary Mary, how'd he end up in Brazil?

And why do all my posts have a box around them?!
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby Byker-Mary » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Hey Dave.
how did I end up in Brazil?
Well I married a Brazilian lady who is from Rio de Janeiro and my musical career post the relative success Apollo440 was not really going anywhere , I was playing in Maximum Roach a surf/rockabilly drum and bass band which was basically the live band from Apollo plus Noko who is now the guitarist/producer in the reformed Magazine. We used to play all over the place ( Germany, Turkey, Switzerland and the US, not bad for an unsigned band!) for 3 or 4 years, people loved us live but record labels wouldn't touch us with a shitty stick.. too old and ugly maybe? ( this was pre crowdsourcing and just before myspace)
We nearly got signed by Trent Reznor's label nothing, but his label got swallowed up in some corporate merger and it never happened.
I also became a father and as things were not happening in the UK I decided it may be more pleasant to raise my child in a slightly more favorable climate than London. My wife had lived in the UK for 15 years and the weather was getting her down.. I didn't have to think to long and hard about moving to Brazil.
I've been here 7 years now, we opened a bar/restaurant selling Thai/indian/Vietnamese food because I missed that type of food and I need survive financially.
I've started working with some Brazilian musicians and done a couple soundtracks for a underground film production company, I also managed to blag some DJ work in a stupidly upmarket Hotel bar here in Rio where I was resident for my first 3 years here...Then a couple of years ago Graham called me up with a proposition and here we are today.........hope that answers your question...
Byker-Mary

Postby dave_van_damn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Wow the last person I was expecting a reply from was the man himself! And I was literally listening to GBOA at the time :D

Well glad things are going well. It's a treat to have you in PWEI now!

Thanks for answering my question!
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Postby VMNP » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:30 am

Great post Mr Byker and welcome to the forum. :D
Built To Stay The Pace Not Lazy, Bleary Eyed A Wide Berth Crazy.
VMNP

Postby RolexTharsus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am

Clint & Mary joining in the space of a month! Cracking :D
Zero half measures (What a carve up!)
RolexTharsus
Wise up sucker

Return to Mary Byker /Ian Hoxley