[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
pop will eat itself • View topic - Recommend a DAW to me!

Recommend a DAW to me!

Recommend a DAW to me!

Postby dave_van_damn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 pm

So I've been using a 2004 version of Acid Pro for well, almost 10 years, and I really need something a bit more up to date. I'm planning on asking Santa for a new laptop, so I want to buy a new DAW. What DAW software do you guys use? I've heard good and bad about almost all of them.

I'm want a program that can record guitar, vocals, make beats and be compatible with a USB keyboard.

Thanks!
Visit my blog for live bootlegs, b-sides and rare vinyl
Visit my other blog for random crap about living in Hong Kong
dave_van_damn
1000 X No

Re: Recommend a DAW to me!

Postby Ugly Goblin Boy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 pm

I can't really suggest one piece of equipment to do all the work, but I do like hooking up stuff via MIDI and seeing what happens. Right now I'm using my MC-505 as the main DAW, then patching out the MIDI with a Midi Solution 1in-4out splitter to my Novation X-Station25, Roland TR-505 (which patches out via MIDI to my Roland TD-7 kit, which patches out 1/4 to my Roland SE50 multi-effects), Roland SP-808EX (soon to be replaced by my newly purchased Roland SP-505), Akai MX8 and a Mattel Sythsonic Drum Machine (Just for fun). I patch a Akai MPD into the MC-505 for ad-libbing.

I write sequences on my MC-505 and then send the MIDI track (1-7) out to which ever machine (MC-505 MIDI 7 sends out to Novation X-Station25 in MIDI 7). I sync the clock to the TR-505 and start on a blank pattern, then punch in a pattern that sends MIDI out 10 to the Roland TD-7 MIDI in 10 (The standard MIDI channel for rhythm is always 10).

As for recording, I patch all of this out to a Berringher mixer which I send out via 1/4-out to my laptop to record.

I don't know if that helps.
Ugly Goblin Boy
radio pwei

Re: Recommend a DAW to me!

Postby Ugly Goblin Boy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:48 pm

I recently re-imaged the 'Suspense' theme to the classic PC game DOOM on my workstation, here's a video to illustrate a bit of what I was writing earlier.

Ugly Goblin Boy
radio pwei

Return to off you go